Thursday, June 11, 2009

Trying to Get Organized




I would love to blog about how organized I am as a mother. . .but I can't. I have millions of ideas running crazy in my head, but there is not a lot of organization up there to get all of those ideas accomplished.

This summer when I was looking for idea books for our summer of fun I came across a book called, The Family Manager's Guide to Summer Survival by Kathy Peel. I decided I needed to add it to my cart at Amazon and see how I am going to survive this summer.

I am so pleased that I got this book. There are tons of really great ideas. That is a bonus. The best part of the book for me was the section with the Summertime Development Chart. She encourages you and your spouse to come up with some goals for each child. She bases these goals on Luke 2:52. She says, "Luke 2:52 says that when Jesus was a young boy, he grew in wisdom (intellectually), stature (physically), favor with God (spiritually), and favor with man (socially). So you set four goals for each of your children based on these four concepts.

I think this is a great idea. I do not want to over organize my kids' free time, but they do need a little guidance. For example, my middle daughter is learning how to read and we really need to keep working with her this summer. Her intellectual goal will be to improve her reading skills.

I am so excited to sit down and make some plans, but I wanted to share this awesome find. I will share more after I have some time to develop my charts.

Have a great Thursday!

1 comment:

RootsAndWingsCo said...

Organization is such a great thing! At the beginning of summer, I also figure my summer out the way you are saying. I come up with schooling for each of my children, depending on what areas they need work on or could use extra effort. I also figure out what means the most to my children, to do during the summer. Then, I schedule those things in. If you don't schedule it all out, it just doesn't happen.

Rebecca
RootsAndWingsCo.blogspot.com